Dean of Students - Elementary
Location: Colegrove Park, Brayton and Greylock Elementary Schools (one at each school building)
This is an annual internal posting for current NAPS faculty members. The following position is stipended per the NATA contract and is for the school year only.
Job Goal: Assume full responsibility for the school and its occupants in the absence of the principal, when directed to do so. To manage student discipline and attendance within the building, under the guidance of the principal. To ensure a safe and orderly school environment. To assist the principal in the evaluation of professional staff.
Supervision: Reports to the Building Principal.
1. Acts for the Principal in his/her absence, when so directed.
2. Shares with the principal the responsibility for protection of the health and welfare of students.
3. Makes recommendations for appropriate revisions of policies and rules affecting the student’s life in the school.
4. Assumes responsibility in conjunction with the principal for administering all student matters relating to discipline, infraction of rules and regulations.
5. Resolves all discipline problems in a fair and just manner, and maintains records of any disciplinary action taken.
6. Maintains positive parental contact.
7. Oversees the use of the Student Support Center and staffing.
8. Oversees the in-school suspensions.
9. Seeks out alternative suspension programs.
10. Holds parent interagency meetings for suspended students.
11. Oversees detention issues.
12. Supervises and administers all matters related to student attendance and provides necessary follow up.
13. Provides for the safety of all personnel and students in the school.
14. Assists in the implementation of school emergency plan in order to maintain a safe and orderly environment.
15. Attends district Safety Committee meetings.
16. Works with the School Resource Officer to maintain safety and helps the Officer building relationships with parents and students.
17. Works with community and government agencies on problems relating to truancy from school.
18. Assists the principal in supervising and evaluating the effectiveness of school-based personnel.
19. Works such additional time, beyond the regular school day, as required and performs any duties related thereto.
20. Any other duties as may be assigned by Administration.
The Committee's policy of nondiscrimination will extend to students, staff, the general public, and individuals with whom it does business; No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school of any town or in obtaining the advantages, privileges, and courses of study of such public school on account of age, race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or homelessness.
Required: Massachusetts Department of Education Certification as a Teacher. Administrative experience in a school setting preferred.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in Administration or an earned higher academic degree. At least five years of administrative experience in a school setting.
Physical Requirements: The position requires a moderate amount of walking, standing, sitting and climbing stairs and step stool whenever necessary. Activities also include moderate physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending, twisting, grasping, pushing, and pulling of objects. The position requires lifting objects of 20 pounds on a frequent basis, and over 20 pounds occasionally. There is a frequent requirement of fine manipulation associated with the required use of a computer, typewriter, keyboard, calculator, and other business machines.
Environmental Conditions: The occupant is required to work indoors. The regular chemical solvents are toners, inks, and cleaning fluids.
Stipend per the NATA contract
10 Main Street, Second Floor, North Adams, MA 01247